But things are so complicated and tangled together - I can't seem to seperate them out, I don't know how to untangle things - Haruki Murukami

Sunday, 26 February 2012

Onward!

It has been a while since I last posted. Simply put I haven't had much energy for it. I realised how much I had been through in the last couple of years and I've had some difficulty with some of it is all I need to say. I still am. Its a wave that I ride. I heard today a saying...'.life is like a wave - if you stand still in front of it it will knock you down but if you dive in and swim through you will come out the other side.....' I also heard another ....' the past is not something that can be wished for but as the present is built upon it gradually fades away' .....I went to see 'The Exotic Marigold Hotel' today and it was full of such sayings. Lovely. There was only me and 5 old women in the cinema! they were complaining it was too loud. The film is full of the brilliance of the best of british acting (Bill Nighy being a particular favourite!)

So I have been stuck right up me own arse  (very smelly!) but I have also been out and about. I've been to a few exhibitions - an interesting one in Hebden Bridge 'He calls himself Margaret' by Michelle Howart Rashman - a collection of fabric sculptures made up of layers of material depicting women - a clever observation of real life - women, grotesque at first sight, but who are clearly living feeling people which becomes very moving as you remain in their presence. Have a look at the review here... http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/art/features/picture-preview-he-calls-himself-margaret-6259833.html



I've also been to see Claire Woods at the Hepworth - she paints large scale abstracts of landscapes - it was visually impressive but I didn't get as much out of it as some other people I know. And before Christmas I went to the Baltic to look at the Turner Prize nominees. Its the first time I have seen such an exhibition - we were shepherded around it, unable to go back and spend time. I was interested in Martin Boyce as he uses text and sculpture and I wasn't disappointed. I felt at home in his gallery. To be honest I thought the paintings would win because of the amount of interest in them but they didn't. I'm glad. I felt they weren't honest about themselves. And they were very sad. A rainy day became a George Shaw day. I had a bet with my companion and I won but sadly I never received my winnings.
I also took a look at  the Northern Prize nominees - this year I felt they were very interesting. I loved the winning contribution - a clever idea I wish I'd done! Easy - taking photos and all the photos were of my home town so it was a joy to sit and watch (for me!) I also loved the emotional work of Liadin Cooke  - the use of materials to express emotion resonated deeply within me but the NAP is quite predicatable and she didn't win.

So busy out and about and busy making. I'm taking part in the Leeds Artists Book Fair again this year and seeing as I don't have the stress of completing dissertations, making final pieces and moving house this year I threw myself into making some books.

I have made a range - a few blank, faux leather wrap round books and some blank, concertina books with my own collage design on the front. I have also made some 'zine's - small paper books on a subject of interest - I've made a series of four books on line (the subject of my work) plus I have also made a couple of small zines using words (another favourite of mine) - these words have significant meaning to me but are presented in a way I hope makes them of interest to other - I guess I'll find out at the fair! I have also made cards and original drawings based on my line drawings. I've enjoyed being creative again and getting back out there.








I have also submitted a proposal to a gallery which unfortunately wasn't successful but I received some very positive feedback which has been encouraging. I am also submitting other work....will have to see eh?!

So - I will try to keep up my entries. It has been nice to write this, to focus elsewhere, I'll be honest, because I can't be anything else, I'm dealing with a lot of loss right now, learning about myself and trying to figure out my place in the world, trying to be grateful but very, very tired.
Much love.



1 comment:

  1. Welcome back Jane - how lovely to read your post! So looking forward to the Book Fair and seeing you in Leeds - I am busy making blank books as well - more or less the same inspite of last year's intentions!xx

    ReplyDelete