I've been continuing to do my 'theraputic' work - I have to say its been helping enormously - to come home and be able to express myself through my art is such a change in direction from the 'box ticking' exercises I have been used to for the last 6 years. And maybe a necessary need to break with the chains of the past?
I am coming to think that to have a number of 'strands' of work on the go at the same time is a practice that is useful for me - I say for me as it might not be the case for other artists. I've also been told I am always 'on the go' and maybe that is an aspect of me I am embracing and trying to calm. Anyway - for me - I have very much appreciated the discovery of expression through art but I find myself longing for my drawing...I want to 'get back' to drawing now. My interest in the tangled line is still insisting on a voice and so I am longing to do some more work on that - more to come later!
Another idea that is bubbling up inside is something to do with the body. It would not be an underestimation to say that this year has been tough! Moving house, renovating, degree work, employed work plus all the emotional and practical issues that come with being a single mum! I am exhausted. Understandably. My body has started to tell me to stop. Since finishing my course I have been ill in one way or another. My throat has been bad, my ears have become infected and my neck and shoulder muscles finally could take no more tension! I went to see a wonderful osteopath who introduced me to the idea of somaticisation. Last week I went for a back, face and head massage. I became aware of how little I had been touched over the years and that I was still carrying the pain of the last 7 years. We humans need touch......how can I explore this in my art?
Anyway its a thought in progress but exploring the idea of the body I did some body printing using a paprika and tumeric dye I had made (it was used for the back ground of the picture above)
So - will get on with more work but am going to take it slowly this time. Christmas is coming and I want to make some presents and decorations. Time to not do so much - this weekend I am enjoying watching dvd's and taking in the wonder of the autumn garden. I am grateful and blessed.



A beautiful and thoughtfully reflectivel post Jane - I felt the healing as I was reading it - thoughts and reflection for me too! Thank you
ReplyDelete