But things are so complicated and tangled together - I can't seem to seperate them out, I don't know how to untangle things - Haruki Murukami

Sunday, 2 October 2011

busy...

Its been a while.
I have been getting my head together, enjoying the summer and gently trying to re-connect with my creativity. I have been busy though!

I told you about the postcard project....I very much enjoyed taking part in that and a number of people chose to 'favourite' my image and gave me some very encouraging feedback which was validating - and different to any feedback used to receiving from college people or friends.

I also submitted some work for a book that is being put together by an artists goup called 'Occursus' - http://occursus.wordpress.com/about/ There was a choice of subjects on which to submit but I chose 'foam'. I did some experiments with printing with foam and then recalled my degree process....so I took close up shots of some foam and projected it and then drew it. the resultant images were abstract and so far removed from the original foam that I was really pleased with them. I could only do them in A6 size but I'm glad to say that they were accepted and will be featuring in the book!


  

In addition to this I have also done a painting for my friend's birthday. Again - I used my process but did it on a canvas to see how it would translate. Her living room has blue tones so I painted it in blue. I have to say I was very pleased with the end result - it makes an appealing image (well, to me!!) Luckily she felt the same and seemed pleased with it - if anyone wants one just let me know! Am thinking of doing one for my own wall!!




So I was doing these things to get me to be creative and it has certainly helped. I have plenty of ideas flying about my head - so many things I want to do now!

Life is shifting - something is moving - gosh its been on the move for years now! I thought I would go on to do Art Psychotherapy when I completed my degree - I have been working in arts charities to get some experience of the types of people who might benefit from this sort of work - but now I'm not so sure. Above all my craving is to be an artist! I see jobs going by and it frustrates me that I can't apply - I don't feel experienced enough or because I work I'm not free to do the work.....its something I need to give more thought to. Thinsg have been quite stressful over the last few months and so I have practising using my art to express myself.

As a fine artist its quite a hard process to do - to let go and just express myself. I've been taught for 6 years to translate my feelings into a representation of something not to simply draw or paint my feelings. I spent an afternoon doing it. Not having anything in mind before starting, simply letting the emotion flow and emerge from the movement of my arm and hands. I loved doing it. I've been doing it a lot! Might give you some idea of how things have been but I am loving being able to do this.

One thing I have noticed is the use of line...that came out of my work at college a fascination with line.....but at the same time its a personal work - its about my identity and most of work to date has been autobiographical....its an interesting realisation for me.

Anyway - here are some images....

 







So I'm going to do a bit more exploration into line I think. I'm also going to do the book fair again next year so want to get on with making books!

Finally -
I follow a number of blogs - the blog world is great - full of interesting contributions and so much talent!!! I'm in awe most of the time and desperately desirous of the time and freedom to create. Work! Having to get paid interferes!!

Anyway I follow a blog called 'The Altered Page' by a wonderful guy called Seth Aptor. He is currently doing a piece on stacks - we all have them and actually when you look closely there is a beauty in them...when I first read the blog I was taken with the image but thought I didn't have any stacks - hwo wrong I was! and here is my favourite - a pile of books in my living room - I love piles of books - and have them all over the house - I love it!!! And whats more I thought maybe I could respond using my line enquiry - more to do.........



2 comments:

  1. Hi Jane - loved reading your post and knowing where you are- you've inspird me! to get down to some art and also to start blogging again - have been very lax of late but then I have been poorly for the last few weeks!! I love the images - what size are they? xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rosie - thanks - sorry to hear you've not been well - are you ok now?? The work has only been done on rough paper but they are about 2 ft tall - they are preliminaries, now I want to transfer to board or canvas....speak soon xx

    ReplyDelete