I had a group tutorial at college last week. It was quite a rewarding experience for me - I felt able to objectively comment constructively on my peers work and also see my own work for the development it has progressed through.
And my tutor was helpful!!
As I have gone along I have been taking photographs of my work - the photographs are close ups and have a quality about them that does not seem to be present in the actual work......how to capture the essence of the photograph in my work?
What do the photographs say that the work is not?
I have let this mull around in my head...well I say ' mull' more like 'torment'! I stare and stare at them as I try to figure out whats missing in my pieces that I manage to capture in the images.....
I think it is the chaos.
My work is representation of the chaos that is my head, my life and yet the pieces I make are small, unimposing, quietly intrusive. The words that have come to mind as I have been making have been 'organic', 'emerging', 'creeping' 'intrusive' and yet the pieces I have made recently are anything but......
I go back to the stitches hanging in the air - they were organic and creepy and intrusive. Maybe that is why I love them so much - they interrupt the space, they intrude and say 'look at me, I make you uncomfortable'
My latest knitted wire piece is more architectural - in that it is using the walls and corners, drawing attention to these spaces but it is unintrusive, it is quiet and inside me the chaos is screaming to get out.
As I have been researching and visiting exhibitions and reading about other sculptors I notice how the works that grab me are the ones that shout - look at me!, they are in the way they are not quietly saying excuse me.....and maybe the scale of my work does not justify the chaos is comes from...maybe it is time to upscale and finally get out of myself the mess so that others can truly understand......
No comments:
Post a Comment