But things are so complicated and tangled together - I can't seem to seperate them out, I don't know how to untangle things - Haruki Murukami

Sunday, 27 March 2011

decision made

The envelope exhibition went well - for such a small space we had over 40 people through in the 2 hours we were open with some great feedback. For something organised in a week we were all very pleased with the end result - and shows we can do it anytime anywhere!

I have been working with a number of ideas unsure of which to see through to the assessment. Of all the ideas I have been looking at I love the concept of placing some random object in the corner of the room in order to draw attention to it thanks to the envelope exhibition however all my research has been about drawing in space and using threads and wire - to start with something so different wouldn't give me time to justify or resolve it. Whilst I liked the drawing on the wall it doesn't fulfil my brief so I have decided to focus creating a thread form in situ.

As I have said the work of Tomas Saraceno resonates with me and I would like to create something on similar lines. This week I was lucky to get some feedback from someone who graduated my course last year - he said that the thread could deleneate the space or invade the space - that gave me the idea to go large! Do more! Invade that space!










This is my first attempt - much more to do but now I have made the decision I can focus. This is thread from wall to the other across the corner. There are 40 pins in each wall - of course it needs to be much denser, much bigger and maybe not in that form but its a start!










This is quiet a diversion from the chaotic pieces I have been doing but it feels right - the simplicity of the straight lines is calming to me and the impact of the threads asks me to look deeper within. Some drawing from it too would be good.....keep going!

No comments:

Post a Comment