But things are so complicated and tangled together - I can't seem to seperate them out, I don't know how to untangle things - Haruki Murukami

Monday, 2 May 2011

nearly there

Its been a couple of weeks. I've been working but my house is being renovated so things have been somewhat chaotic! The wall between my kitchen and dining room has been taken down - I have no kitchen and am living out of boxes in the conservatory! It will only be for another week though so be ok!

Art wise I've been looking at the subtleties between a projected line and a drawn line. Still working in my corner I have definately decided on using the knitted wire, not the threads. I have found a resolved way of hanging the wire in front of the drawing ...it just a matter of deciding whether to do projection, drawing or both!



My plan is to fill the entire corner with the image of the knitted wire - the question is drawing or projection? Whilst the drawing is stunning there is something 'dead' about it - certainly when compared to the projection - the projection has many qualities that cannot be captured in a drawing.
Another option is to do both - really explore the concept of the line - where the drawn line ends and the projection starts - a couple of people have suggested that to me. And so to fully explore this, my plan is to do the installation in a studio so I can see for myself. It will also help me with the timings etc.

Another aspect for consideration if I project then the projector becomes a part of the installation - I can't simply place it on the floor and ta-da! Do I have the projector in a white square? Do I block out the edges so I am projecting a thinner space.....all to be resolved and 4 weeks to go!

This week we had our final tutorials - all went well, we seem focused and on with. We got our plan of action for the assessment and final show - we have to go in to clear out the studio space, paint the walls, paint the floor, install work. Then we have to go in for the assessment and again for 2 private views and then finally to take the work down and get our grade!

Much to do.

2 comments:

  1. Jane it's looking strong and more resolved although there are still decisions to make you will work it out - can help when I come up! You certainly don't do things by halves!! Well done on all counts xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that quote on your header - perfect!!

    ReplyDelete