OK - yesterday I went into college for the clear out - all the full time students have allocated studio spaces - it is our job to clear all the spaces and turn the studio into a gallery. It was fairly chaotic but a sense of all mucking in together. I met some lovely full time students that I am sharing a space with.
I also got to find out the space I have been allocated to show my work for assessment and for the degree show. It was not great news.
None of my 3 proposals seem to have been considered - with the tutor either not reading my very detailled diagrams and photographic proposal or not understanding my diagrams and photos of where I was asking for so I have been allocated a corner......behind a door.
The corner allocated is the one directly behind the door and the whole of the wall space to the plug socket.
Devastated doesn't come close.
I talked with two of my tutors who agreed it wasn't great but that I could see it as a challenge to make the most of it. The tutor who allocated the space insisted it was architectural and a great space. And after 6 years of this experience its hard not to take it personally. I considered the possibility of going up. Up into the roof space - that has interesting, unnoticed spaces. Lets keep in mind the point of my work is to draw attention to unnoticed space, to inject complexity into overlooked space.
I went back to college later in the evening and took my projection with me - I had to see for myself what I could do with the space instead of worrying about it or complaining about it. I was determined not to be beaten by this, by the system - artists must have to work with spaces that aren't perfect and if I can pull this off then it will be a great learning experience....a gift.
The gallery space is not ready - there are wooden boards waiting for construction so its not an ideal environment but it was enough to get an idea that it would be ok.
The door is not great - I don't know how it will be on the night - its a fire door so I don't think it can be propped open, similarly it can't be removed but the positive aspects were that it is the first piece of work seen as the room is entered, the wall space is generous, if the door is allowed to close behind you the work can be viewed in its entireity and I think my work is strong enough to not be down heartened by the space behind the door - if anything it does what I want - it draws attention to an overlooked space - it draws you into that space and gets you to look where you wouldn't normally have looked.
I have been inspired by artists such as Sarah Sze and Hesoop Yeon and they actively use awkward and overlooked spaces.....so, I accept the gift and will continue.



Jane - I love that quote and what a fantastic turn around and new attitude to the challenge ahead - well done YOU - I am positive it will turn out as 'a gift' - all the very best for the next few days!
ReplyDelete