At college we had our final tutorial and a walk round the proposed gallery space so that we could complete a pro forma detailling where and how we wish to install our work. There are few suitable corners to be honest but I found at least three options. My tutor seemed quite interested in my work and supportive of what I am trying to achieve so maybe she'll give me a good space!? Good news was that we are all focused and doing ok as the assessment deadline approaches.As I went to my tutorial I was considering the relationship between the projection and the drawing - I knew that the drawing wasn't enough and that the projection was much more interesting and why but a couple of people had said what about both? My tutor included. The only way to find out for sure was to practice.
So this weekend I hired a studio space for the weekend. It was an opportunity to have a practice run - to intall in a studio space, to time the installation and to assess the effect in as close an environment to the real thing as possible.
It was a very worthwhile thing to do. I learnt much. I was originally painting the line in a dark tone of ink - it wasn't working with the shadow however to change the tone of the line made it more difficult to differentiate between the line and the shadow. It was the right thing to do. It isn't enough as just a line, nor as a shadow - having both creates a third layer. It defines the shadow and also leaves a line on the wall when the viewer walks in front of the shadow raising the question 'is it the shadow or the line?'
So - thats the installation sorted....ha! Now on with the knitting! I ordered 5 reels of wire, knitted for 2 hours and got an 18 inch x 12 inch piece of knitting and no wire left! Ordered some more but it didn't arrive - I'll have a job load arrive tomorrow! My calculations reckon that I will need 50 reels to do 10 feet - at £3 a reel!! Its ok..
House wise the kitchen is in, the floor is down and I have been able to move some stuff from the conservatory to the new kitchen. Still need electrics and an oven and a cooker hood and then its on to the bathroom! Have to say am fairly worn out - had a day just chilling and reading back to work tomorrow.


You must be exhausted!! I am so looking forward to seeing it for real. Hiring the space has been very worth while - just shows what you can do with a permanent large empty space doesn't it! I too have spent quite a lot of money (on the book!) and am now wondering how to use more low/no cost materials - all the best for June! xx
ReplyDeleteForgot to say I love that you are using an overhead projector!
ReplyDelete